Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Day 21,22,23,24, and 25 of Cycling the 55 Gallon

The morning after the last post, I added 1/2 a teaspoon of ammonia to the tank and some Cycle. I have not touced the tank again until this morning, in the dim hope that if I let the nitrite bacteria catch up to all of the nitrtite that was being produced by the ammonia bacteria then the tank would finally cycle. Of course, the nitrite levels remain high, and the ammonia bacteria continues to do it's job well. Because I am worried about he ammonia consuming bacteria not being well-enough fed, I added a 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia to the water this morning.

I may try a water change next on the tank to see if that helps at all. Maybe if I greatly reduce the nitrites in the tank and then slowly add ammonia again, the tank will actually cycle. It could be that I have added too much ammonia to the water so the nitrite bacteria can't keep up. So, if I have time, maybe tomorrow night I will do a substantial water change on the aquarium.

My plan is to get fish whether the tank is cycled or not this weekend. Let's hope I get there with it.

No comments: