Sunday, April 11, 2004

Days 7,8,9, and 10 of Cycling the 55 Gallon

Got a bit behind on these posts because I went away for a few days, and forgot to post on day 7 (Thursday). So, here's what has happened so far:

Day 7: The ammonia levels were not registering again, but the nitrite levels remain high. So I added another 1/4 teaspoon of ammonia to the tank.

Day 8 (Friday): Around 12:30, I checked the levels again before leaving town for the weekend. Ammonia was again not registering, but the nitrite levels remain high. To keep the bacteria going while I was gone, I added a 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia to the tank.

Day 9: Uknown. I was out of town.

Day 10: I measured the levels as soon as I got back, and discovered that the nitrite levels continue to remain high, but that the ammonia is immeasurable. I still haven't added anything to the tank, but as soon as I post this, I will go and add another 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia to the tank. It seems like I should continue this tactic until the nitrite in the aquarium drops -- i.e. feed the ammonia consuming bacteria and hoping the nitrite consuming bacteria will catch up soon.

No comments: