Thursday, May 13, 2004

One Daffodil Dead

I found the daffodil yesterday. Unfortunately, it was no longer in the tank! I guess it jumped out when I was cleaning the tank. I was disappointed, because I had only had the fish for a week or so.

The hardest part was telling my three-year old son, who had really taken a liking to what he calls the "wide tails." I considered trying to hide the death from him, but decided that this would be a good learning experience for him -- a way to introduce him on a small scale to one of the facts of life. He took it pretty well, cried a little bit saying he was sad and that the fish must be sad too. He seems to have moved on and now seems focused on the remaining fish and the possibility of providing a new friend for the other "wide tail."

I think I would like to see some baby daffodils in the tank at some point, so I may get some more in the near future. I don't want to disturb the balance in the tank, though. I'll probably wait a bit on that one.

No comments: