Monday, January 31, 2005

Baby j. transcriptus

I was looking at my fish tank last night before their lights go out. (They're on a timer - usually go off around 10 pm). And I was noticing that a pair of j. transcriptus in the 20 gallon were being a little more aggressive than usual. Ah ha, I thought. They are about to breed. Then I noticed a tiny speck rise up briefly from the rocks that the two were defending! They have already hatched some little ones apparently!

Thus far my approach to the Tanganikan tanks has been pretty low key. In the past, I would have immediately tried to find and hatch baby brine shrimp to feed the baby cichlids. I didn't even think of doing that when my baby j. reganni's were born -- I was just to busy. And they appear to be still alive and growing! So, I'll see what happens with the j. transcriptus. If they don't survive this time, hopefully there will be more, and by that time I will know better and have some brine shrimp eggs on hand.

No comments: